Re: [IPk] minimed

Dear Sarah,

The paradigm _was_ supposed to be waterproof, but turns out it isn't.

Just my experience, but Medtronic are not a company that I'd buy an
essential bit of healthcare kit from. There has been ONE grumble here
about poor service from another company - and many, many more about
Medtronic.  I don't even bother to grumble here about botched supplies

One other thing you might want to compare and contrast: the basal
programmes differ between minimed (three pre-programmes) and the H-tron
(latest has, I think, a number of pre-programmes, all of which can be
increased or decreased by a percentage.  If you know how your bg varies
with exercise, sickness, etc, and know whether it's basically the same
pattern, but more or less, or whether its different patterns, choose
your pump accordingly.

Also, there seems to be some difference in the ease of wearing - the
minimed comes with an disconectable clip which seems to make it easier
to wear on a waistband.

Best wishes,

(dm 30 +, 508 2+ - but this is the wrong pump for me!)

In message <email @ redacted>, Sarah
<email @ redacted> writes
>hmmmm. I'm confused. I was thinking about getting a paradigm pump as these
>are waterproof (or at least so I though!). I've just tried the UK minimed
>site which I now can't get anywhere on. I can get info on diabetes and pump
>therapy but not product info which now appears to be accessible only to
>health care professionals. Technically I am a health care professional (but
>don't have easy access to a fax machine to prove my status!), but I don't
>quite understand the need to bar patients from product info especially as
>most of us are paying for the products. More worryingly, the american site
>which does have product info on it now says that both the 508 and paradigm
>have the same water resistance - they're ok for 'accidental dunking or
>splashing' but they advise disconnecting for swimming. I thought that one of
>the main advantages of the paradigm was waterproofness. It is also
>advertised as the 'new paradigm 512' - is this the one that is available
>here? It also comes with a BG meter - does that happen here and are the
>strips available on the NHS? Anyone else found this a problem (or am i just
>incompentent at using their website?!)? I'll try calling Minimed again, but
>usually whoever I need to speak to isn't there and my calls never get
><end of rant>
>DM7y 508 9m

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)