[IPk] Late night disaster

Total disaster night before last.

I'd done a performance of Flying Dutchman in Lucerne (which is in the
middle of Switzerland) (Tenor in the chorus - nothing exciting I'm afraid
:-). It's 2 hours drive from our home in Germany. After the show the 3 of
us who live in Freiburg drove back. Things got bad as we crossed the Swiss
border at midnight, and I couldn't find my passport. First time it's been
asked for in about 20 crossings recently. My 2 friends chatted casually
with the (German) border guard as I rummaged around nervously in my bag.
Couldn't find it. Wasn't there. I had left it (I hope!) in the dressing
room at Lucerne. Eventually the border guard said, well, are you all
German? No - I said. I'm English. Pause. OK - through you go. And that was
it. We returned to Freiburg. Finished the journey through Freiburg with a
short ride on my folding bike, arrived home, and then things got really
bad. My keys were also missing. And my wife and 2 boys are away for a long
weekend. So I'm stuck on the doorstep of a large apartment block with a
locked main front door and no key. I've got a spare key to our own flat
hidden in the basement. You've got to get into the building first but
there's always people coming and going, so that's never been a problem on
the odd occasion in the past I've gone out without my keys. But it's now
1am, and the whole building looks decidedly asleep. I confess I didn't have
the nerve to ring the doorbell (and wake up) other friends in the building
and ask to be let in. So I sat down to wile away a rather chilly night
waiting for someone else to go in or out the building. On top I was only
wearing a long sleeved shirt and a canvass coat. And my BG meter was also
missing. Unbelievable. Finally someone left the building at 5am!!! and I
was able to get in, get my front door key and go to bed. Next morning I
headed straight off to the doctor for a prescription for a new meter (and
also have a blood test done following my recent chemotherapy). Chemist
didn't have the meter in stock, but they had it by 5pm. 24hrs without BG
test. And of course I then realised my finger pricker is also missing, so
I'm lancing by hand. Very odd experience. Shows the importance of having a
spare meter in the house. I got one a few years ago just in case of this -
but had used up and not replaced the strips for it. Stupid me. Back to
Lucerne tomorrow where I hope my keys, passport and meter are in my
dressing room drawer.

mailto:email @ redacted