[IPk] strange rash

I have had a strange rash for the last week - on both legs, from the
ankles, going up about 6 inches on each leg, worse at the back of the
legs but spreads round to the front, looks red, then fades to pink,
feels slightly hot to the touch, a bit stingy and itchy. Initially I
assumed it was an allergy (though I could not imagine what) and would
pass, but it has now been around for a week, not as bright red, but the
stinging and itchiness is worse than at first. So I went to my GP
today, he wondered if it was some diabetes-related dermatological
condition, prescribed some cream to reduce the itchiness, and referred
me to a dermatologist.
Has anyone ever had anything like it?