Re: [IPk] Carpal tunnel syndrome

Hi Tori,

Thanks for that! I asked the same orthopedist in Virginia about how CTS
might be related to neuropathy, and his response was that that the low
chance of non-surgical recovery from CTS might be related to neuropathy, but
that the development of CTS was not itself a symptom of neuropathy. I had
terrible typing technique and had been typing a lot (e-mail, IM, and actual
work) through 4 years of university, and I'd had diabetes only 6 years.
Given those facts, at the time I took that doctor's word. I've had doubts
since then, though--it's nice to know they were legitimate. Maybe I'll phone
up that orthopedist for a little chat....

I have never been flagged with neuropathy below the knees by a diabetologist
or a podiatrist, but occasionally my feet will tingle--when I'm on a
treadmill or a StairMaster, wearing rather worn-out trainers. Perhaps it's a
neurological version of TV repairman syndrome: the thing ain't right, but
whenever you get the guy to look at it, it won't do a thing wrong. Here's
hoping that things have the metaphorical courtesy to stay occasional and
tolerable or the decency to get bad enough for proper diagnosis and

At the IDF it came up in sessions on type 2 that many complications apparent
years after diagnosis most likely have their roots in years of pre-diagnosis
lack of control. For those of us diagnosed with type 1 in childhood or
adolescence especially, when the resilience of the system means that one can
function at bgs of even 20-35 mmol/L, perhaps for us as well there's
significant damage done pre-diagnosis. Perhaps damage already done before
diagnosis worsens gradually but inevitably, despite tight control, because
the ball got rolling and can't be stopped (only slowed), while some problems
not present at diagnosis may be headed off completely or warded off for a
very long time by some combination of both genetics and tight control? Any
thoughts? I'd like to think that excellent control could stop complications
in progress, but sometimes a ball just keeps rolling even on a flat surface.
Momentum, like gravity, can be a real downer.