RE: [IPk] Humalog v. Novorapid (YMMV)

Hi Rhoda,

Re Humalog action time, I found something anecdotally (now getting actual
scientific notice!) that might be of interest to your friend. Humalog can
take longer to start working the higher the starting bg. For instance, if my
bg's 4.5 before a meal, Humalog will work so fast I'd better wait until
after eating to take it. However, if my bg's 15, it'll be a good hour before
it changes much. After about 1h 20 min, ooooooh BOY! does it ever go down.
It's like a tall tree falling....slowly, slowly, slowly,
zzzzzzZOOOOM---->CRASH! If my bg's still elevated after 1h 45 min, I change
my set and give the correction again.

I find it rather interesting that, in light of Humalog's delayed action time
depending on bg, the Deltec Cozmo pump people have built in a 'You took a
bolus a few minutes ago--are you *sure* you want another?' alarm into their
pump. It's been reported that a fair number of new pumpers on Humalog give
themselves massive hypos when they see their bgs have not decreased 45 mins.
post-Humalog correction. They don't know the zzzzZooom! is just around the
corner, and then they initiatate a second zzzzZooom. I never did myself
unconscious, but I did give myself 2s a few times before I saw the pattern.

To avoid double-zzzzZoooming, I might take a total of 5 units in 3 goes over
45 mins. if I'm out to dinner (garlic bread here...chips there...a glass of
wine...). Given my way of spreading out a meal bolus, I'd turn off that 'Are
you sure?' feature if I had a Cozmo. I wonder if it's a good thing that the
pump can seem to suggest someone ought to take a big dose of Humalog all at
once, probably before having eaten...hm.

Right, speaking of meals, it's nearly lunch and I'm still in my pyjamas.

IDDM 10+ years; MiniMed pumper 7 years
MDI w/Humilin R+NPH (isophane) 2 years; then Buffered Regular 2 years, then
Humalog 5 years, now NovoRapid 3 weeks