[IPk] Back from St. P.

Hello All,

Thanks for all the support in getting me to St Petersburg in one peace.

As those of you with experience suggested, there were no problems at the
airport (perhaps because I didn't set off the detectors), and it is a
beautiful city).

However, street crime does seem to be endemic.  There were 400 delegates
at the conference I attended, and 20 had been pick-pocketed or mugged by
the end of the first day.  Twice I got off public transport to find my
pump swinging free, and I can only think that someone tried to 'lift' my
"mobile phone".  I'd recommend that in this and similar areas people put
their pumps in pockets or in their socks rather than on their belts.

Another (positive) thing no one mentioned: the food is really good!  I
had wonderful cabbage soup, sild and other fish, mushrooms, more sour
cream than is good for me, and apple dumplings and hazelnut meringues
.... the coffee was good, too - often came ready-sugered.

Best wishes to all,

(who found herself reading Ian M. Banks as a nice, safe comfortable
fantasy world to escape the harsh realities of life today in St. P, and
its historical realities)

Pat Reynolds
email @ redacted
   "It might look a bit messy now,
                    but just you come back in 500 years time"
   (T. Pratchett)