[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #498 unexplained highs

Hi Abi
    >Easy to not be quite thorough enough when
starting new job/ stressed etc. Luckily managed to catch it in time. wonder
whether prob was due to " stress" or that time of month or  slight
Noticed cramps that evening: ? due to dehydration and electrolyte inbalance
I felt quite well ( at least no worse than normal hyper sx)

Strange  when these odd highs appear.  It seems that a combination of things
must trigger it expecially stress and once it is triggered the insulin
resistance has a real effect.  I've only been pumping two months but have
had two occasions, one cannula  problem and one over correction of hypo and
I was amazed at how quickly bs shot up to 20 and 30mmol in a couple of hours
and then needed quite a lot of insulin to get it down again ie. 1/2 normal
daily amount in 4 hours.  I wonder if it ever did that in the old days when
there was very little monitoring but we had a background of long acting
insulin on board plus longer acting short acting if you see what I mean.  I
suppose it probably prevented the extreme highs occuring but perhaps allowed
bs to run slightly high a lot of the time of which people were unaware.

Fiona Type 1DM 37yrs, pump 2 months