Re: [IPk] Can't get the hang of eating out

It might have been the amount of fat in the meal (steak, chips, chocolate
tart--right?) making the carb 'stick' as well as perhaps more carbs in the
tart than would have seemed reasonable. You probably counted the carbs
rationally and well, but a high-fat meal means extra insulin for many people
I know (inc. me). I have found that testing and correcting bg 2 hours, 4
hours, and sometimes 6 hours after a meal works well for me. I try to
remember how much extra insulin I need for certain favourite high-fat meals
and increase my food bolusing accordingly, but usually get things
almost-but-not-quite. If I've had a lateish (post 9 p.m.) meal and things
are weird 4 hours after dinner, I set an alarm to wake me up at 3 or 4 a.m.
so I can see what's happening then.

Having had a pump since the days before square- and dual-wave boluses, I am
a dinosaur and don't use those features much at all. I'd save myself some
button-pressing, but I am never quite sure of all that I'm going to eat
until I've eaten it. I love fast-acting insulin analogues! The Buffered
Regular I had 7 years ago wasn't as good as I've found Humalog and Novorapid
to be, and certainly didn't allow for a lot of spontaneity (I've been trying
Novorapid instead of Humalog for the past few days. Seems I have no problems
with either--lucky me).

IDDM 10 years; MiniMed pumper 7 years