RE: [IPk] RE: How many tests per day

Hi Rhoda,

One thing that occurs to me: if 5 years is an average time for beta cell
dysfunction in type 2, it could be that you were diagnosed by the time you
had very little action in the beta cell department. Perhaps for you the beta
cell dysfunction came on a lot faster or you didn't get diagnosed until it
was over? The idea of having type 2s on oral medications test 4x/day
1x/month is to allow the kinds of variations generally observable when
insulin is really insufficient to show up before the person presents with a

Something that came up in a few of the IDF sessions I attended is that type
1 and type 2 diagnoses ought to include antibody testing, but that's not
always done and some people seem to think it's generally not necessary. Did
you have antibodies when you were diagnosed?

When people tell me that someone has 'mild' diabetes, I tend to reply, 'No,
they're both serious, and type 2 can be especially serious if people think
it's nothing to worry about. I'll die in less than 2 weeks without insulin,
but a poorly controlled type 2 can be unwell for years'.