[IPk] Re: Now a school problem!!

email @ redacted writes:

> Can anyone help? We have just been to our 8 year olds school to be told
> that legally they cannot support her in school. They cannot carb count
> and they will not adjust her insulin. Basically we know that we do not
> have a leg to stand on but has anyone got any ideas of ways to get around
> this? So far we have written everything down that needs to be done eg the
> carbs for each food, as well as the insulin dose so they only have to add
> up what she has eaten and ask her to administrate it, we have been
> available all day to answer any queries and to talk them through any
> problems that have arisen. These incidentally have been - none on behalf
> of our daughter and 2 on behalf of the school (1. worrying about a low
> reading, it was 5 no problems, if they had listened or read the sheet we
> went over with the! m there would have been no problem one phone call and
> it was sorted. 2. The headmaster added carbs and got a different answer
> to us. Reassuring isnt it? Again no problems as far as we are concerned,
> hiccups will happen. They now want us to go in at break, lunch and any
> other time she needs to adjust or eat. I teach full time and my husband
> has commitments that simply make this impossible on a daily basis. We
> have fought so long and hard to get this pump that this just seems like
> another kick in the teeth by the government. We know that for the
> insurance sake that a teacher has to take responsibility for the care but
> what do we do if no-one will? Our hospital team are not having their
> pump training until October. (We are doing this without the
> hospitals support  just Disetroni cs who are wonderful  thanks Chris!!)
> The only alternative we can see is that she is educated at home. The way
> I feel right now is that if she went and mugged someone she would
> probably get help with her Diabetes management and a personal tutor.
> ARGH!!
> Thank you and Good night.
> Seriously, thanks for letting me vent but if anyone has similar
> experiences or any ideas to help please let us know.
> At the end of my rope and about to jump

Hello Kayleigh

Danielle is on a pump and now has no problems at school.  She takes a morning
snack and after she has eaten it, goes to reception where there is a list of
foods and carb contents.  This list does not have to be a long comprehensive
one - just the usual things that children snack on like crisps, fruit or
 kit-kat etc. Somebody at school checks that she has given the correct bolus and
then the next thing is lunchtime, where the class teacher checks her blood and
 looks on my notes to see if he needs to phone me. At the moment he only has to
phone me if she is below 3.7 mmols or over 11.0 mmols, otherwise she just goes
off for her lunch and then does a bolus of 2.5 units afterwards.  He goes
 with her to check that she is putting enough on her plate. I checked the school
lunches and they all contain relatively the same about of carbohydrate each
day; we are quite lucky that Danielle always eats all of her lunch.  Before
 games or if Danielle is feeling poorly, another blood test will be done, the
checked and the phone call made to me if necessary.

For the first year after diagnosis, Danielle went onto sandwiches to be on
 the safe side. When she went onto the pump, she stayed on sandwiches and I put
a note in the box to say what she needed to bolus.  The teacher then just had
to check that she did the correct amount.

I hope this helps.

Mum to Danielle aged 9, dx Aug 2001, pumping since Nov 2002