Re: [IPk] Pleased with Danielle's School

I would just like to say Hip hip hooray!!  I am so pleased to hear things
like that.

When I was diagnosed at the age of 4 there were only 2 diabetic children in
my town and my current school at that time did not understand or want to
understand anything about diabetes, despite my mum trying to inform them.
For the duration of that school which lasted 3 years I was made to sit in a
classroom on my own away from all the other children to eat my lunch (there
were no blood machines in those days).  That started my mental state of
thinking I was a freak and different from all other children.

At the age of 7 when I was due to change schools the preferred Primary
school headmaster refused to take me and said that I needed to go to a
"special school".  My mum yet again battled and with the help of school
secretary the headmaster was persuaded to let me go.  I don't recall any
blood tests being done while I was at school though.

Thankfully by the time I reached Secondary School a few more diabetic
children had emerged and it was not so difficult.

I think it is wonderful that your daughter's teacher is so enthusiastic and