[IPk] Now a school problem!!

Hi Everyone

Can anyone help?  We have just been to our 8 year olds school to be told
that legally they cannot support her in school.  They cannot carb count
and they will not adjust her insulin.  Basically we know that we do not
have a leg to stand on but has anyone got any ideas of ways to get around
this? So far we have written everything down that needs to be done eg the
carbs for each food, as well as the insulin dose so they only have to add
up what she has eaten and ask her to administrate it, we have been
available all day to answer any queries and to talk them through any
problems that have arisen. These incidentally have been - none on behalf
of our daughter and 2 on behalf of the school (1. worrying about a low
reading, it was 5 no problems, if they had listened or read the sheet we
went over with the! m there would have been no problem one phone call and
it was sorted. 2. The headmaster added carbs and got a different answer
to us. Reassuring isnt it? Again no problems as far as we are concerned,
hiccups will happen.  They now want us to go in at break, lunch and any
other time she needs to adjust or eat.  I teach full time and my husband
has commitments that simply make this impossible on a daily basis.  We
have fought so long and hard to get this pump that this just seems like
another kick in the teeth by the government.  We know that for the
insurance sake that a teacher has to take responsibility for the care but
what do we do if no-one will?  Our hospital team are not having their
pump training until October.  </! SPAN>(We are doing this without the
hospitals support  just Disetroni cs who are wonderful  thanks Chris!!)
The only alternative we can see is that she is educated at home.  The way
I feel right now is that if she went and mugged someone she would
probably get help with her Diabetes management and a personal tutor.

Thank you and Good night.

Seriously, thanks for letting me vent but if anyone has similar
experiences or any ideas to help please let us know.

At the end of my rope and about to jump

Kayleigh Grace - mum of Libby aged 8 diabetic 3.5years, pumping 6 weeks
(and very healthy now!!)

Get your hands on designer bargains for less - click here.