Re: [IPk] How many tests a day

I think the "unecessary " argument for more frequent testing highlights the
inadequate standards of diabetes education in many areas. Trouble is if they
don't test they can't adjust things and if they don't know how to act on
results they can't adjust things. Seems a very conveniant way of making some
short term financial savings to me
I read a big document on local guidelines for diabetes care. Not bad on the
whole ( aimed as much to T2 as T1 though). Dietetic advice was very sketchy
usual high uncounted complex carbs/ snack on fruit/ wholemeal bread between
meals if hungry ( not given in the context of carbohydrate and insulin
adjustment). When talking about care of adolescents I raised some eyebrows.
Mentioned that once daily insulin did not provide adequate control and twice
daily normally needed in the hectic life of a teenager ( twice daily
=flexible? and who would inflict a once daily on anyone: forcing them to
have dinner at a fixed time as well as lunch ), although also talked about
advantages of basal bolus regimens for flexibility. Then mentioned that this
in itself doesn't give better contol. In the next paragraph stated that
teenagers should test enough to feel confident about their diabetes: usually
6 to 8 times per week ??!!!. This is mentioned in the context of  dislike
and refusal to test by many,>
Does have  a section of driving and underlines the importance of testing
then. Also testing at times relevant to excercise
A great deal of talk about aiming for A1c of 7 and possible need to change
treatment plan if persistantly 8 or above.Also talk of patient empowerment.
I don't call testing less than at least 3-4 times per day when on insulin,
empowerment ( although some may disagree if have a dislike of tests !)