[IPk] How many tests a day

Ever since I've been on the pump I would guess I've tested 7+ times a day.
I went to see my GP today (on an unrelated matter) and whilst there, asked
him if he could increase my repeat prescription for test strips from 100 to
200, just to cut down on the frequency of requesting it.

He said that I shouldn't be testing as much, quote "Even when we first get
people going on Insulin we only test 3 times a day and I should not be doing
more than that".

I started to explain re the pump and a need to test more frequently, but
gave up and thought "what's the point!".  He said to get my diabetologist to
write to him if he thought I needed to test more frequently, which I will
do.  However, in the meantime I'm curious - how many times do other pumpers
test on average per day?