Re: [IPk] Heather and driving

Heather - I also find hot weather can send my BGs sky high. Some others
find it makes them plummet. In others it makes the BG unstable. We are all
different I guess.

>I wonder how many people with diabetes are running hyperglycaemic to avoid
>hypos and the impact on driving and employment. I suspect it is an awful lot.
>In some ways diabetes can be like a slap on the face: you do things right and
>then are punnished. It does annoy me when complications are used as a stick to
>beat people with when in poor control, and they are accused of neglecting
>their health. Usually if someone is trying to impress the importance of "good
>control" they do not mention the implications that a severe hypo can have on a
>persons life

I never cease to remind myself what a bugger diabetes is. Constantly
fussing around trying to avoid both high and low blood sugars. While
leading a vaguely normal life as well. I guess that's why I've chosen to
use a pump. And it may possibly be why I seem to be complications after 27
years of diabetes. Or perhaps I'm just lucky. Don't know. Can't know. But I
no longer drive after an epileptic fit 12 months ago following a brain
operation to remove a tumour. That was not diabetes related to my
knowledge, although I believe people with diabetes are more susceptible to

I'm sure I read a letter in a diabetes magazine a few years ago from a chap
lamenting the fact that if you have a lot of hypos, your doctor is the
person to help you sort the problem out, but if you tell your doctor,
he/she may be obliged to have your driving licence withdrawn, causing
severe inconvenience and possibly loss of job. A bit of a Catch 22.

>As you say, with current advances you do not have to face a lifetime with

Tony - I know we've crossed swords on this one before, and I know you've
just been to a glorious international diabetes conference in Paris. But I
take no hope from a promise of a cure for Type 1 diabetes "in my lifetime".
I've seen it before. When I was diagnosed 27 years ago, the cure was just
around the corner. 10 years passed. No change - apart from the introduction
of "human" insulin, which was a disaster in me. I went back to pork.
Another 10 years passed. Still no change. I've seen it written that the
most important advance in diabetes care in the last 25 years has not been
home BG meters, or HbA1cs, but sharper needles. And that's about it. So,
yes, there may be a cure sometime soon. Or there may not be. In the
meantime, I want to stay complication-free so I can enjoy the party when
the cure comes. But I live as if there is no cure imminent.

mailto:email @ redacted