[IPk] Help - PCT question re funding

Hi all,

 I have been continuing to work towards getting Sam funded, and submitted a
large batch of documents to our PCT in May. It has taken a lot of chasing and
many phone calls, not helped by the fact that the person who was dealing with
this has been off on long term sick leave, but I think I may actually be getting

 This morning I have had a call from the Director of Commissioning to apologise
for the severe delay in getting back to me, but also to raise some valid
queries. Sam is their first pump patient and they are approaching the exercise
from first principles, with NICE guidance behind it all. The 2 points are:

 (1) If a patient is being funded, how can the PCT control the costs so that the
patient doesn't run up huge bills?

(2) Who is responsible for anything going wrong, from a medical point of view?

 I have dealt with point (2) by pointing out the number of daily BG tests that
pumpers carry out and suggesting that she talks to Sam's consultant.

 What I need to do is suggest to her a suitable procedure for us ordering
supplies, preferably with us dealing directly with Medtronic (in our case) and
them subsequently invoicing the PCT. Can I ask those of you who are currently
funded, what the procedure is in your case? If I can go back to her with a well
argued case, I think that I may finally be getting somewhere. As ever, it will
help to refer to cases where the procedure works well.

Thanks in advance.

Father of Sam, aged 9
dx 7 years, pumping 2 years