RE: [IPk] Re: Gymnastics & blood sugar

Hi Pat

I do use carbohydrate assessments and insulin units, sorry I didn't make
myself clear.  When I said " normal dose" I meant I gave her the insulin
that I normally would with meal that she ate after counting the carbs. I do
have problems  with working out her actual insulin to carb ration due to the
fact that she takes NPH to cover the lunch.  Most of the tables don't work
very well if you are not on MDI or a pump.  However I do calculated the carb
amounts and take into account what her present and  recent past bg has been.
It only seems to have gone wrong since she is doing the gym after eating and
insulin whereas before when she ate the same amount and injected later after
gym  it was OK. Its just now will be so late for an evening meal when she
gets back.

>I think you could start with a light meal (because I wouldn't want to do
> gym on top of a large spag. bol!), and injecting maybe 75% or 80% of the
> insulin which your carb-to-insulin ratio suggests is needed.  Then, that
> first time, I'd just watch what happened, and take a correction bolus or
> boluses as needed.  I'd check my bgs before, during and after exercise,
> and take glucose tabs if need be (definitely not chocolate!).

This sounds like something I can try.  I usually give her the chocolate bar
(the twins really look forward to it before gym and allow half an hour for
it   to be "digested" before they start.  I guess this isn't long enough or
quick enough.  I will give something else.  We don't normal check half way
though as sometimes gym isn't necessarily that energetic,  as some time is
spend standing about waiting in turn to use the apparatus.  Anyway the last
3 times she has gone low either half way through or towards the end. So I
will have to do something.

If I was hungry afterwards, I'd eat, and take whatever insulin was
> needed to cover it (using 100%, or maybe only 90% of what was needed) -
> and yes, I know how impossible this all is going to be when we are
> talking about the kinds of doses a child needs, and having to do it with
> a pen or syringe!).
> I'd keep the food exactly the same through the experiments, so that I
> was dealing with the same thing each time.

I will have a go with a smaller meal and less insulin and a "faster" snack
before she takes part then see what happens later.

At the moment the gym is only one hour so not too arduous.

Thanks for the advice.

Mum of Sasha

Insulatard x 2
Novorapid x2  plus correction doses