Re: [IPk] Re: Gymnastics & blood sugar

In message <email @ redacted>,
Jackie Jacombs <email @ redacted> writes
>Maybe half her normal insulin, a small evening meal and the
>choc bar or biscuit or maybe juice, then a bigger supper on return and the
>rest of what would be her normal dose of insulin??  Anyone think that would

I think you would find this easier to think through if you used
carbohydrate assessment and insulin units.

Forget 'her normal dose' - and 'a small meal'.  Deal with real figures!

I think you could start with a light meal (because I wouldn't want to do
gym on top of a large spag. bol!), and injecting maybe 75% or 80% of the
insulin which your carb-to-insulin ratio suggests is needed.  Then, that
first time, I'd just watch what happened, and take a correction bolus or
boluses as needed.  I'd check my bgs before, during and after exercise,
and take glucose tabs if need be (definitely not chocolate!).

If I was hungry afterwards, I'd eat, and take whatever insulin was
needed to cover it (using 100%, or maybe only 90% of what was needed) -
and yes, I know how impossible this all is going to be when we are
talking about the kinds of doses a child needs, and having to do it with
a pen or syringe!).

I'd keep the food exactly the same through the experiments, so that I
was dealing with the same thing each time.

Through experimenting, reducing the % for the evening meal if I was
hypo, raising if it I was high during or straight after gym, I'd get
that set.  Then I'd start tackling the post-meal high preemptively
rather than retrospectively: spotting where and how it peaks, and from
that working out how much insulin should be injected when - hoping that
it's not half-way through the gym session!

Anyway, that's how I tackle this kind of experimentation: hold down all
the variables in a vice, and fix one thing at a time!

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)