RE: [IPk] Re: Transferring hospitals

Caroline you wrote>

> I recently ended up in the A&E depatment of the hospital whose care I am
> under for my pump. Despite this, absolutley no one knew anything about a
> pump or what it did (the number of times I had to explain it that day was
> unbelievable!) So it doesn't really matter whether it is your
> local hospital
> that you are under for the pump or not, the staff are highly unlikely to
> know anything about it.

Sorry to hear that you ended up in A & E.   Don't know whether to laugh or
cry about the staff knowing nothing.  But that's par for the course I

If Sasha had to be admitted to hospital it would be to the children's ward
with the same staff and Dr who deals with diabetes and your are right if the
Dr  (threes only the one who really knows much) is away then your pretty
much own your own.  The nurses usually have no idea at all.  Some even
thought that you gave MORE insulin for low blood sugar!

> I most often find that the staff take the attitude that I know
> more about my
> diabetes than they do, and let me get on with it. When I was a child, the
> same was true with staff allowing my parents to get on with it. You will
> know more about Sasha's condition that any doctor or nurse, and I don't
> think its unreasonable for you to assert this fact and be involved in all
> decisions about her care. In my case, for as long as I remained
> on the pump
> they let me get on with it, and I was the only person who contacted my
> diabetes team for advice - not the A&E staff! But again, if your
> D team did
> need to be contacted, it shouldn't matter whether they are in the same
> hospital (after all we can't be expected never to travel away from home,
> where our D tea, isn't available)

> In the event of something like ketoacidosis, or anything that seriously
> upsets diabetic control, (most illnesses, it seems!) it is best
> to come off
> the pump anyway, as IV insulin remains the most effective way to deal with
> these kind of problems. Once IV insulin is being used, your
> previous method
> of control is fairly irrelevent. Incidentally transferring back
> to your own
> regimen after being on sliding scale is easier with a pump
> because you don't
> have to try and make up for the lack of medium/long acting insulin in your
> system.

Sasha was on an IV when she had her celiac biopsy   ( had to go to Oxford
for that)    and the nurses had a lot of trouble setting it up.  They were
very worried about the amount that it was delivering and kept asking US what
rate we should set it!!!  of course we had no idea.  They kept fiddling
about with it and eventually stopped it twice to work out how much was being
delivered.  That's when one of the nurses watching made the comment about
needing more insulin for low blood sugar.  They did manage to send her hypo
just minute before the biopsy too.

> You also mentioned your diabetes consultant being the "big chief" when you
> are admitted to hospital. I think this is just a hospital policy that they
> put you under the overall care of a doctor who knows you. I have
> been under
> the care of my diabetic consultant for neurological problems as my
> neurologist is at a different hospital. He probably knows little about
> neurology, so I'm sure your doctor not knowing much about pumps won't
> matter! And again, if Sasha was on IV insulin, he would know how to manage
> that.

Well hopefully he will I think Sasha was  on a IV for several days once and
it was OK at Cheltenham.

> As for anyone being really snotty and saying I "told you so" - I'd like to
> see them trying to live with this condition 24/7. These things
> happen to us
> all from time to time, no matter how hard we try to prevent it, and
> condescending medical staff are definitely something we could do without!
> Caroline

One of the parents from my support group went on a weekend for  teenagers
with diabetes.  They went to London and went on the London Eye and there
were some parent educational talks organised by DUK.  My friend's son is a
young teenager 13 years.  Pat wanted to raise some issues that were brought
up at the meeting and the fact  that her son's bg was often really high
every morning.  She asked if it could be hormones or a rebound as she had
learnt about this on the course.  He was quite dismissive and didn't even
ask where she went and who organised the trip and said that it was unlikely
that either of these two things were the cause.  As if to say " you think
you know more than me"!!!!