[IPk] Re: Transferring hospitals

I recently ended up in the A&E depatment of the hospital whose care I am
under for my pump. Despite this, absolutley no one knew anything about a
pump or what it did (the number of times I had to explain it that day was
unbelievable!) So it doesn't really matter whether it is your local hospital
that you are under for the pump or not, the staff are highly unlikely to
know anything about it.

I most often find that the staff take the attitude that I know more about my
diabetes than they do, and let me get on with it. When I was a child, the
same was true with staff allowing my parents to get on with it. You will
know more about Sasha's condition that any doctor or nurse, and I don't
think its unreasonable for you to assert this fact and be involved in all
decisions about her care. In my case, for as long as I remained on the pump
they let me get on with it, and I was the only person who contacted my
diabetes team for advice - not the A&E staff! But again, if your D team did
need to be contacted, it shouldn't matter whether they are in the same
hospital (after all we can't be expected never to travel away from home,
where our D tea, isn't available)

In the event of something like ketoacidosis, or anything that seriously
upsets diabetic control, (most illnesses, it seems!) it is best to come off
the pump anyway, as IV insulin remains the most effective way to deal with
these kind of problems. Once IV insulin is being used, your previous method
of control is fairly irrelevent. Incidentally transferring back to your own
regimen after being on sliding scale is easier with a pump because you don't
have to try and make up for the lack of medium/long acting insulin in your

You also mentioned your diabetes consultant being the "big chief" when you
are admitted to hospital. I think this is just a hospital policy that they
put you under the overall care of a doctor who knows you. I have been under
the care of my diabetic consultant for neurological problems as my
neurologist is at a different hospital. He probably knows little about
neurology, so I'm sure your doctor not knowing much about pumps won't
matter! And again, if Sasha was on IV insulin, he would know how to manage

As for anyone being really snotty and saying I "told you so" - I'd like to
see them trying to live with this condition 24/7. These things happen to us
all from time to time, no matter how hard we try to prevent it, and
condescending medical staff are definitely something we could do without!