Re: [IPk] Re: Gymnastics & blood sugar

Hi Barbara,

It sounds like Danielle will find it much easier on a pump - instead of
varying food, you'll just vary insulin.  since you already know how to
do the food, you'll find geting the amount of variation in the insulin
very easy to do.  It may help to start thinking now in terms of grams of
CHO rather than 'a sandwich and a yoghurt' - it also will allow Danielle
to eat more widely, should she decide that she wants different foods,
such as pasta shapes and an orange.

The doctor is right about affects up to 48 hours after!  I have three
basal regimes on my pump, which I think of as 'normal', 'the day after
exercise' and 'pre-menstrual/illness'.  There is a significant variation
in those - 'normal' being about 14 units, 'pre-menstrual/illness' about
17, and 'post-exercise' about 11.

I switch to 'post-exercise' just before I exercise, and switch back to
normal in about 24 hrs - before if I notice bgs rising, or later if they
are low.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+,  wishes she had a more flexible system, such as the
disetronic, which allows a % decrease, rather than the three fixed
patterns I'm stuck with)

>Danielle does ballet and tap on a Thursday night and we have to leave at 4.30
>pm and get home at 6.30 pm.  Our DSN told us to give her her normal dose of
>insulin and a substantial snack before she goes (sandwich & yoghurt for
>example).  She suggested that Danielle takes something to the class with her
>to have half way through such as pure fruit juice and then to have her
>evening meal as well when she comes home.  This sounds like a lot, but if I
>don't do this, Danielle goes too low during the night.  The doctor (on the
>Diabetes UK weekend) told us that any exercise done has an effect on the
>blood sugar for up to 48 hours afterwards!  Obviously, what I do with
>Danielle depends on her blood sugar result when she comes in from school.  If
>it's on the high side, I will just give her a smaller sandwich but still give
>her the yoghurt.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)