Re: [IPk] Low blood sugars during exercise

Hi Jackie,

What is Sasha's blood sugar before she begins a gymnastics session? It might
be worth aiming to have it hanging between 11 and 12. That is the
recommendation in a book I have (_Outsmarting Diabetes_) and it has failed
me very infrequently. I won't run 3 miles on a bg of less than 12.9, and I
won't run 2 miles on one lower than 9.5. One must remember, and Sasha MUST
know by heart, that exercise uses glucose! If Sasha's bg is 11 or 12 when
she starts exercising, she'll have plenty of glucose to burn, which means
she shouldn't have to stop to eat glucose tabs, though it would be a good
idea for her to check her blood sugar half-way through the session and when
it's over, just what's happening. Of course, if she's quite high after the
class, she could always have more insulin afterwards in order to set things
right, but it's important to remember too that glucose could go back into
her muscles while she's asleep, which could cause a rather bad hypo. I would
think that having Sasha take an amount of insulin to cover all but two
'units' of carbohydrate (i.e., if she takes 1 unit per 15g carb and usually
eats a meal that contains about 60g carb, try 2 units rather than 4--does
that make sense?) on the nights that she exercises might work. Have her
check her bg before, half-way through, and after exercise until you have
things relatively ironed out.. Also, it may help to do a 3 a.m. test after
Sasha's had a normal session of gymnastics to see if the exercise is
affecting her bg through the night.

Good luck,