Re: [IPk] Re: Transferring hospitals

my local hospital have never seen me.  Indeed, it's practice around here
> for diabetics to attend only a GP clinic ...
> What's the worst that they can do?  Withhold advice on glycaemix index?
> Really, once you've left the diabetologist, you've removed all power
> from him. He can ask that the pump is removed while she's in hospital,
> but you can refuse permission for her to receive insulin by injection.

> I'm not quite sure that in the case of a child it's that simple. I believe
that parent's wishes can be overriden. Certainly, I'm sure it's a
possibility with adults ( although if they left the pump off you long enough
and BG was extremely high could forced treatment under common law be given
on the grounds that you were confused???) It would be nice if we could feel
secure that pumps were recognised, patients trusted, silly rules and
protocols overidden and professionals not threatened by well informed