RE: [IPk] Re: Transferring hospitals

Hi Pat

What I was wondering was, if the hospital would get snotty with me if I had
to take Sasha in because she become ill with ketoacidosis   (looking on the
black side here!) or a tummy bug  She has had at least 6 times in hospital
with tummy bugs and vomiting!!!  (picked up from things going round the
school, not my cooking!!)

I can just imagining them thinking " I told you so" etc and not knowing how
to deal with the pump and want if taken off.  Or just being obstructive.  We
have had this once when we took Rebecca in with a bad asthma attack she was
only 2 and a half.  We were told to take her in quickly if she became ill
because it didn't take long for an attack to become acute.  Usually long
before a GP ever turned up.  The consultant was suppose to let them know
that we had "open" access.  When I phoned up to come in they said they
didn't know anything about it!!! and told me they only had one bed for
someone who was"really ill"!!.  I insisted that we came in and then we were
taken to a ward and ignored.  No one came for ages.  Then Rebecca started
vomiting and turning blue and then they came running.  There was no oxygen
thingy by the bed working, so a nurse picked her up and ran the length of
the ward to the treatment room.  Fortunately she was ok she was put on a
nebuliser and then given steroids that she should have been given hours
before!!!  It was Christmas Eve and we had to stay in and Father Christmas
had to come very late the next day!!!  Had a very late Christmas dinner too.

Just wondered how hospitals were to people who had "gone else where"!  Not
that our diabetes nurse has ever come to see us on the ward when we have
been admitted for illness.  But out diabetes consultant is often there as he
is "the big chief".

Jackie