Re: [IPk] Insulin pumps and the lack of them!! and lack of knowledge

In message <email @ redacted>,
Jackie Jacombs <email @ redacted> writes
>ave others had to travel great distances to find a hospital who would help
>them.  If so how do you get transferred and how do you find out if they will
>take you as a patient??

I'm not sure if 40 miles (Milton Keynes to London) is a great distance.

What you do is: go to your GP, and ask for a second opinion on your
diabetes care.  They are legally obliged to send you to another clinic.
If they know about your desire for a pump, and are generally supportive
(or at least, not negative), they may well send you to a clinic which
supports pumps.  Don't expect them to know about such clinics or even
about pumps: you have to do the leg work and find out where the best
place to go would be.

Don't expect to be put on a pump emmideiately you get to the new clinic.
They may well want to see you a couple of times (i.e. spend a year)
figuring out that their pet non-pump therapy doesn't work either.

As to that nurse.  You must remember that her job was probably
advertised with 'an interest in diabetes is desirable'.  She may have no
interest, let alone no knowledge, and that would be perfectly acceptable
by her job description and performance competencies.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, often longs to say 'I told you so seven years ago')
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)