Re: [IPk] Rant: Lack of basic diabetes knowledge

In message <email @ redacted>,
Jackie Jacombs <email @ redacted> writes
>> Rant item 1) It seems to me that the NHS has a REAL problem with
>> the concept
>> of self-management. Diabetes would cost the NHS a lot less (in time and
>> money) if people with diabetes got enough education and support to _take
>> care of themselves_ properly. I would seek help if I didn't know why my
>> HbA1c came back high. However, I don't regularly need a lot of advice (I
>> lowered my HbA1c by a point earlier this year by myself). My independence
>> saves the NHS an appointment or two, or even a hospital stay, no?
>I wonder if they haven't got the time to devote to explaining things to
>people, but they should have.

Also, many doctors believe they are God.  There are class and gender
>> Rant item 2) I have been surprised and dismayed to see on this listserv
>> questions about physiology and basic diabetes facts which I would
>> have been
>> able to answer within 6 months of my diagnosis, especially from people
>> who've had diabetes much longer than I. How people can stay
>> alive, much less
>> avoid complications, without knowing the answers to some of them (for
>> example: what causes diabetes, what factors other than 'sugar' can affect
>> blood sugar, the long-term downsides of injections) astounds me.
>I don't want to defend what seems to be a poor service to many people with
>diabetes, but there is such a lot to take in at the time maybe people are
>told but don't always take it in at the time.  Maybe there should be follow
>up educational visits.

I'm with Melissa.  Diabetes management isn't rocket science.  This is
part of the same problem as NHS not valuing good self-care: patients are
taught not to reflect upon their experience of being diabetic.  So many
non-pumping people here on this list are carb counting or adjusting
insulin to needs, but not telling the NHS that they are, because to do
this would get them judged 'neurotic'.

Were you serious about the lentil soup, Jackie - if you email me off
list, I can talk you through it - I'll even do the maths for you.  If a
dyslexic can do it, so can you!

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)
Pat Reynolds