[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

RE: [IPk] Charlie Dalton

Hi Barbara

I think you are extremely lucky that you have  an educated diabetes  team
who have actually suggest the pump.  Don't forget a lot of people subscribe
to this list and don't necessarily post much because the are not having any
problems.  My daughter does not pump, so I can only go by what other parents
have said.  I subscribe to Children with Diabetes mailing list for the U.S.
where over half the posters seem to have children pumping.   It's not all
plain sailing to begin with and there are things to watch out for.  When
Charlie first starts on the pump I imagine he will need a lot of help and
support to begin with and he will need to be very careful that any high
sugar levels are checked out quickly and any problems dealt with swiftly.
If you are pumping then you have no long acting insulin on board and
problems can escalate very quickly if the sugars are raised for long.  When
you get more information about pumping you will to told all this and the
protocols to follow.

Just because you have qualified nurses at your sons school don't assume that
they know much about diabetes, most nurses know very little.  Parents who
are nurses themselves and then  find that they have to deal with a  diabetic
son or daughter are often staggered how little they do know.  So the nurses
at the school will have to be taught exactly what to do.

You say that he won't end up in A&E so often?  Has he had problems with

The professionals that I have come across have been very negative about
pumping but I don't believe they should be.  Most have never even seen
someone on a pump or have talked so someone who does use a pump.

Your son's blood sugar levels are very high if they are persistently in this
range. 18 - 30 mmols You need to speak to your diabetes team about what to
do at the moment and try and get is sorted out.

What insulin does you son take??? and is he injecting short acting three
times a day and longer acting at night (MDI) or taking pre mixed insulin?

It is very hard to keep the levels within a normal range, with Sasha, if she
has slightly too much or too little insulin, half a unit is enough to make a
big difference. An extra small biscuit will make a difference between the
next blood test being within normal ranges or over 16 mmols.  I don't know
if this is the same with everyone but most people I speak to in my local
support group say this seems to happen with young children.  Sasha is only 8
and your son is 10 so maybe an extra biscuit or apple here and there would
not make a such a huge difference.

If Charlie is having hypos at night  he is probably having too much longer
acting insulin.  Especially, if as you say, he is eating a reasonable snack
before bedtime.  Again your diabetes team should be able to sort this out.

How near will the hospital be that deals with your son when he is on the

Stress can make the blood sugars rise but if he is a full time boarder at
this school and being a chorister is what he wants and it sounds like it is,
then I would assume that things will settle down and things wont seem so
stressful and new.

I am sure that anyone who has a child on a pump will be able to make more

Mum of Sasha aged 8 years

Novorapid x 2
Insulatard x 2

If he is having hypo
> from Barbara, mother of Charlie aged 10 who has been recommended
> a pump by his
> consultant at Kings' College Hospital.
> I avidly read all your messages daily to get more info on what we
> are about to
> embark. However, I am beginning to feel rather scared - so many of your
> messages seem to be about problems with equipment, support and
> the uninformed
> views of so called professionals. Having received so much
> positive personal
> encouragement form members of the site, I am now wondering if we
> are embarking
> on the right track. Charlie boards at school and the two nurses
> and Head are
> wholly supportive of  Charlie's decision to try a pump. He knows
> he will be
> healthier and not end up in A&E so often and is feeling very
> positive about
> the whole thing. It's just me panicking!!
> Another thing, Charlie seems unable to keep stable BMs. He is
> usually anything
> between 18 and 30 during the day but has frequent night hypos
> despite eating
> cereal etc on going to bed. Any advice? His diet is good, he
> loves food and
> the school monitor how much he eats every day. No problems there.
> But despite
> changing insulin's, amounts etc we are unable to keep to a happy
> medium. Is
> this very unusual? Could it be the stress of a 'high-profile'
> chorister life
> that affects everything? I feel so ignorant.
> Thanks
> Barbara
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml