Re: [IPk] Pump Knowledge comments etc.

I share your concern. My initial step has to been to write to Diabetes UK to
ask them to amend their policy statement on insulin pump therapy. They are
in the process of modifying it but the more people who complain about them
sitting on the fence the better.  I suppose the 'professionals' can
currently hide behind waiting for NICE guidelines which are due in April
2003. However, The NSF for Diabetes which will start to be implemented very
soon (certainly within the next couple of months) quite clearly states that
people should be empowered to take responsibility for their condition and
control in the most fitting way for them. Although the NSF is going to take
10yrs to roll out completely I think it is vital that 'we' keep up the
pressure to ensure that we want to be enabled not just dismissed as being
obsessive freaks. I also think it is vital that we do not just accept that a
consultant won't have anything to do with pump therapy. Write to the
clinical director of the hospital and ask what is going on. Invite John
Davis from Input, Medtronic,Diesetronic to come and talk to support group
meetings, more people will make enquiries etc. Sadly, it would appear that
the profile is only going to be raised by pumpers being responsible and by
putting heaps of pressure on the relevant bodies.

(mother of 5yr with diabetes and pump!)