RE: [IPk] For Heather and Barbara - re: diabetes weekend

 Hi Heather

> There was a huge list of subjects 'covered' although, because of time
> constraints some were really only glossed over. The group I was in didn't
> even reach the subject of pumps on our list so we were not party to any
> discussion with staff. Of course we were able to talk to some of
> the other
> families about pumps, a couple of whom seemed very interested.
> Sam's set was
> also due to be changed before we left on the Sunday and we were
> able to do
> that with Danielle watching so that she could appreciate that
> gruesome so it

Barbara rang me when she got back from the DUK weekend, she was so excited
about the weekend (well parts of it)   and she told me that she and Danielle
watched the site changed.  Wow, I was impressed too.

Its a pity you and Barbara live so far away.  I would just love someone with
a pump to come and talk to the Gloucestershire local support group about

> "The Glucose Revolution" by Jennie Brand-Miller and whether it's a
> good buy?

I will check this book out.

>The  dietician was quick to denounce carbohydrate counting saying 'it
> work'.

That's total crap.  I started carb counting when we were having such a
problem with unexplained hypos and hypers.  I turned out that Sasha had
coeliac and that's what was causing the problem, and because I was carb
counting I knew what she was actually eating so I could tell there was an
absorption problem.  After the diagnosis (not helped by the clinic telling
me that there wasn't a problem for months and months) when she went on to a
GF diet and her HbA1c were now around 6.2, 5.9, the last one was 6.2 again
previously we were higher than this in the 7s.
Anyway aren't they bringing in DAFNE this is carb estimation??

Jackie, England
Mum of Sasha aged 8 dx 1999, twin sister Rebecca, both coeliac 2001
Mum also to Danni and Nicola, wife to Terry