RE: [IPk] Insulin pumps and the lack of them!! and lack of knowle dge

Hi Jackie

I know it is terribly frustrating!  I go to Guy's hospital in
London which is a journey of about 90 minutes by train for
me.  It is not a big deal as I use to go to St Thomas's (also
in London) anyway.  When I moved up here to do my MSc (many
years ago) my consultant transferred me to St Thomas's from
Exeter as he thought it the nest hospital for diabetes in the
South East.  He thought no local hospital (Windsor or Reading
for me) was going to be able to answer my sorts of questions.
My consultant at St Thomas's transferred me to Guy's when I
expressed an interest in pump therapy.  He was very
supportive.  There are good consultants out there (I have
always been very lucky) so keep looking.  As for the BDA -
forget them!  I find their attitude to diabetes so
entrenched.  I prefer the JDRF now (much more pro-active and
entirely type 1).

PS - I am running the Windsor half marathon on Sunday for the
NSPCC and the JDRF.  I had to have a steroid injection
yesterday as my knee swelled up (My Rheumatoid Arthritis
remains minor with the injections)but it is fine today.  Wish
me luck!  I have run 10 miles before but never 13!

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader

Phone: 0118  929 2422