Re: [IPk] For Heather and Barbara - re: diabetes weekend

Hi Alison,

Hope you're feeling much better. I was equally disappointed that you
couldn't make it. It did cross my mind that if you were ill perhaps we could
arrange to get the children down anyway! Hardly practical really.

There was a huge list of subjects 'covered' although, because of time
constraints some were really only glossed over. The group I was in didn't
even reach the subject of pumps on our list so we were not party to any
discussion with staff. Of course we were able to talk to some of the other
families about pumps, a couple of whom seemed very interested. Sam's set was
also due to be changed before we left on the Sunday and we were able to do
that with Danielle watching so that she could appreciate that gruesome so it
appears, the Silhouette doesn't hurt Sam at all. Sam's control was not
brilliant and we were disappointed with that. I have to remind myself that I
am not trying to prove myself to anybody and that we are still in very early
days (just 2 months of pumping) and he is only just 5.
As for information. I think the most informative section was on diet and the
Gylcemic index. Again, this was only really touched on and has just made me
keen to know more. I'm keen to know whether anybody has a copy of "The
Glucose Revolution" by Jennie Brand-Miller and whether it's a good buy? The
dietician was quick to denounce carbohydrate counting saying 'it doesn't
Barbara was in the group when pumps were 'discussed' and I'll let her
comment on that!
Best wishes,  Heather