[IPk] Insulin pumps and the lack of them!! and lack of knowledge

I run a local support group for parents of children with diabetes. After the
local newspaper printed an article about Sasha and diabetes I was contacted
by another group from the nearest big town, Gloucester Royal Hospital
children's diabetes support group.  They asked me to come over and see what
they did as a committee and see if perhaps we could combine groups at some
points and get speakers in.  I was quite eager to talk to someone who used
that clinic as I had read on the Insulin Pumper site that Gloucester had
supported some people on pumps. Gloucester also have two paediatric diabetic
nurses and Cheltenham has no paediatric nurses.  Anyway one of the other
parents at the meeting was asked about getting someone in to discuss pumps
and the PSD nurse who was there also  said "we wont be going down that road,
there are just too many problems" she said that  Gloucester Royal wont be
putting anymore people on pumps, adults or children!!!  She said they had
one child pumper at Birmingham and they were doing any more there either.
She just didn't want to know about pumps and to make matters worse didn't
actually seem to know anything about them to even make a judgement.  She was
muttering about ketoacidosis and then said, what on earth would happen if a
young child decided not to eat!!!!!! you'd have a big problem then!!!!
What!!   I thought the whole idea about pumping was that you could take this
into account!!  As far as I know you have much more of a problem when you
give a child an insulin  injection and then they decide not to eat! I've
been there with Sasha in the past.  When she was talking about pumps she
obviously had never really spoken to anyone who used one at all.  Someone
then asked about this new insulin Lantus and she didn't know much about that
either.  I could sort of understand that, but not to know anything about
pumps seems terrible, I mean they have been around for years.  I was really
hoping that I could transfer to Gloucester at some point and that they were
pro pump but it seems this is now not to be.  I was very depressed.

Have others had to travel great distances to find a hospital who would help
them.  If so how do you get transferred and how do you find out if they will
take you as a patient??

Jackie Jacombs