Re: [IPk] Further 508 Experiments

> Dear All,
> Changing my set yesterday afternoon, experimented again.  Twisting
> the end of the syringe this time had no effect.  Shaking the pump,
> however, caused a 'delay' of 0.3 units.  Then I wondered about
> pushing down on the top of the syringe, and was horrified to see a
> huge jet of insulin gush out the end!

Shaking the pump while it is attached to a "not" hooked up infusion
line will flex the infusion line and cause its volume to change. It
will expel insulin under those circumstances. You can easily
duplicate this without the pump by filling the tube, holding your
finger over the luer lock end and then shaking the tube. I proves
nothing. If you effectively seal both ends of the tube by inserting
it, then no insulin flows when it is shaken. There is nothing to be
upset about.