Re: [IPk] Pump Trials + Questions

In message <email @ redacted>, email @ redacted
>* What is the position with obtaining funding after paying for a pump yourself
>vs paying from the start?
You might have a good medical case after the trial.
>* Is there anything that can be offset against UK tax?
It's all VAT-free.
>* Has anyone negotiated "half-way" house agreements - e.g., I buy the pump, the
>NHS funds the consumables.
Many people have done this. But the consumables are on 'medical
>* Has anyone who is responsible for costs persuaded their Primary Care Trust to
>spend money saved from the reduction in insulin (I reckon that comes to #180-200
>per annum based on a 40% reduction on 80u per day) on consumables (softsets and
>so on?
I used the less-inusulin argument in presenting my case, but don't know
if it was a contributing factor.  I'm not sure where you got the 40%
from.  Personally, I dropped from about 40 units a day to about 33.
Bottle insulin is, I imagine, cheaper than cartridge. But since it's not
possible to get the last 10 units or so from the bottle, and I used to
use cartridges until they were empty ....

Have you thought about buying a wrist-watch with an alarm (I found that
was the only way to be sure to take a long-acting injection at 7pm), or
paying someone to phone you at the right time? (I think that's a BT

Pumping has a lot of down sides over injections (apart from cost), which
are only worthwhile because control is improved (or it is possible to do
things such as exercise or eat at different times which would otherwise
decrease control).  So if you really do not see any improvement in
hba1c, or any flattening of the line, then a pump may not be worthwhile.
But the companies will give you a free trial, so you don't risk much by
giving it a go!

Best wishes,

dm 30, 508 1+
Pat Reynolds