Re: [IPk] I need help

Hi Lucy,

Have you got your basals sorted out yet?  I.e., if you skip breakfast,
lunch or dinner, do you see a nice flat line?  If you haven't done that
yet, don't worry yet about the boluses, get your basals sorted.

Next step is to take as much insulin as is needed for boluses.  That
'15g = 1 unit' rule is about as sensible as 'wear a 36b bra' - sure,
it's what most people do .... but if it's not for you, it's not for you!

You say you run high on 15g to 1 unit.  Try 12g to one unit.  I found
that my ratio was slightly different on injected humalog to pumped
humalog (used to be 10g to one unit, is now 8g for one unit at
breakfast, 10g at other times). Once you've got an approximation, you
can start refining by moving the timing of the bolus, and use of longer
boluses (square-wave and dual-wave), working out if you've got a
different ratio at different times of the day / month, and so on.

It also helps to try and start with what might seem very high target
bgs: no lower than 10, no higher than 15, for example.  The reason is
that while experimenting, you will go low.  You need your lows to be
well above 4, because going hypo will stop the experiments for 24 hours.
Once you've got a nice flat line at 12, you can drop it down.

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+

In message <email @ redacted>, Malcolm Joyce
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi I'm not really sure were to begin with the problems I have been having
>but my main one is that I have been having conflicting information. I was
>started on the minimed 508 2 weeks ago and also changed insulin from pork
>actrapid to novo rapid. All the information that I have received about
>calculating boluses has been based on humolog I.e. 1 unit=15g carbs. when I
>have calculated my insulin using this method my BGL post-meal run very high
>for upto 4 hours and eventually come down. Every meal that I have I am
>always giving more than the calculated amount to prevent my BGL's going so
>high. Have discussed with minimed and diabetes team but no one seems to no
>why. Has anybody else experienced similar problems ? Has any body tried
>both types of insulin ? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!!!!!!!

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)