From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On
Behalf Of email @ redacted
Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 16:21
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IPk] Pump Trials + Questions

Hi everyone

I'm back on list after a break, and would welcome some wisdom - I'm thinking
of a trial early next year, and I wonder if there are any tips etc. that I
should look at now.

* I've thought of  the time to do a trial is immediately between 2 A1c's to
see the impact, having the various medics on board, having a reasonable base
of records in the 3 months beforehand and so on. I would probably trial with
a Disetronic, as it would not involve a change of insulin for me. Are there
any other hints?

My team are knowledgeable about pumps (there are about a dozen people using
them I think at the clinic), so that is not a problem.

I had a conversation with my consultant last February (next appt on Friday),
and I don't think I will get a medical justification. The only real problem
I have is forgetting nighttime jabs occasionally which causes high overnight
blood sugars sometimes, and leg cramps.

If push really comes to shove, and I go with a pump for real, I can probably
afford it - but I'm just not too chuffed with the prospect of shelling out
#20k or so over the next decade on Db pump treatment.

Does anyone know:

* What is the position with obtaining funding after paying for a pump
yourself vs paying from the start?

* Is there anything that can be offset against UK tax?

* Has anyone negotiated "half-way" house agreements - e.g., I buy the pump,
the NHS funds the consumables.

* Has anyone who is responsible for costs persuaded their Primary Care Trust
to spend money saved from the reduction in insulin (I reckon that comes to
#180-200 per annum based on a 40% reduction on 80u per day) on consumables
(softsets and so on?

Thank-you for any comments.