Re: [IPk] Minimed 508 problems

email @ redacted writes:

Hi Rosemary, and Caroline,

> When I disconnect
> to have a shower I have to prime the pump for a massive delivery (I now
> prime
> 15 units - 10 is never enough) before I see the insulin appear

This in itself is worrying! - you should see a "blob" of insulin appearing
(at the end of a previously full line) after a couple of units, although the
recommended prime is five.  Should no way be 10-15!  I agree with Ken's
suggestions about the likely causes of a "rotating reservoir syringe"; having
the reservoir fixed in a secure position is obviously crucial for proper
delivery.  I've had several experiences of replacing the reservoir after
eradicating bubbles etc. and then not repositioning it quite correctly.  Yes,
it does have to fit squarely, but it IS possible to get the alignment of the
reservoir and the positioning arms slightly out so that you think it's OK -
the lid fits down nicely, but then there's no output - so I always check that
the insulin "blob" at the end is increasing in size, indicating delivery,
before reattaching.

IDDM 30+, Minimed 508 nearly 2 years (and what a change there's been!)