[IPk] Medisense Soft-Sense meter

I loved my Soft-Sense when I first got it - no more impaling myself and
having to squeeze enough blood out. I used it happily for about 6 months, and
then started having problems. I was regularly getting 'Test Error 4' and 'not
enough blood' messages, and it was too often to make using the meter
worthwhile. I thought I was going to have to send it back, as I was sure I
was using it properly.

However before completely giving up I phoned their helpline - and thank
goodness I did. They gave me a series of tips for using the meter, and the
very nice lady helping me *promised* these would work. I didn't believe her,
I must admit: but I still tried them. And they worked! That was about 3
months ago and I've had maybe 3 error messages since.

I didn't write these things down, I'm ashamed to say, but here are the ones I

1) Before following the other tips, remove the base of the meter and wash it
in warm water, very thoroughly, and make sure it's dry before you put it back
on the meter
2) Always use a new lancet for each test
3) Wipe the removable base of the meter, inside and out, with a wet wipe
*after* each test, to remove any blood/dust
4) Relax! If the muscles in your arm are tense it will be more difficult to
draw the blood
5) Have your arm flat, and on a flat, stable surface, when you test
6) Don't push the meter down on your arm - just rest it there lightly. But it
is important to make sure that the left-hand-side of the meter's base (as
you're looking at the display) is up against your skin, not sticking out.
This ensures that the vacuum is sealed and works properly

So now I always carry Wet Ones wipes (they fit in the meter's case) and make
sure I have lots of lancets (I only used to change them every 3 or 4 tests).
I hope that these tips are as useful for other Soft-Sense users as they were
for me. If you have any questions about what I've said, please let me know
and I'll be happy to try and help.