[IPk] lantus

I can't see that lantus would replace long and short acting insulin
As far as I'm aware you would still give yourself humalog or whatever pre
What you might find is that you need to snack occasionally as well to offset
the "single basal rate", especially if you tend to need less insulin mid day
and early afternoon. I find that my morning basal rate varies from 0.5 to 0.8
and afternoon is 0.5 to 0.6. Night times hardly ever vary, so if I was on
lantus i would not be able to fine tune as with pumping- either needing to
have between meal snacks during the day or give extra boluses when basal
requirements were higher.
But most people would find that insulatard and ultratard would leave them too
high at certain times and too low at others with the added variability in
absorption and peaking at undesired times