RE: [IPk] Lantus

It does not replace the need for short acting insulin.  I don't know where
the BBC got that from!!  It is taken in one or sometimes two doses, if it
doesn't last the 24 hours it is supposed to, which some people find.  You
then have to inject short acting with every meal or large snack unless the
bs is low.  In theory it is supposed to mean that if you don't want to eat
you don't have to.  Well certain meals at least.  The idea is that you can
eat  when you like and you are not tied to a rigid schedule. Lantus is
supposed to be virtually peak less, unlike NPH one of the most "peaky"
insulins around. But few I have spoken to have reported a slight peak to
watch out for .You cannot mix it with any other insulin.  Some people report
that it stings when you inject.  Some use NPH in the morning so that the
kids do not have to inject at school and Lantus in the evening so that they
don't have the worrying drop overnight in the early hours of the morning but
can give enough insulin to cover a dawn rise if that is a problem.

I have been gathering information and personal experiences of people already
using Latus.  Mostly children,  but I have some posts from adults who are
using it.  I don't think it can or will replace pump therapy.  I have no
personal experience of pumping, but from reading what people who have used
both therapies say, pumping is still superior.

If anyone wants any extracts from e mails about Lantus mail me off list.

Mum of Sasha