Re: [IPk] funding

In message <email @ redacted>, Carmel Matthews
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hi all , I have been trying to gain funding for my pump for the last year
>and have written a lot of letters! This week I received a letteera Hazel
>Bleakes? from the Dept of healththe interesting part is her statement that
>`Hospital consultants may prescribe equipment such as insulin pymps as part
>of H~NHS treatment either permanently or on loan, and in these circumstances
>no charge may be email @ redacted Surely ALL our pumps are prescribed as the Companies
>won't supply them without a Drs recommendation.

Hi Caramel,

I'd go back to Ms Bleakes and clarify that.
First: what does she mean by 'prescribe'.  Can a doctor
recommend/suggest/tell a patient to get a pump without 'prescribing'?
Second: how does she use the word 'may': If a doctor prescribes a pump,
then he or she has the option to provide funding OR If a doctor
prescribes a pump they MUST provide funding?  My guess is she wrote the
second meaning but meant the first meaning.

Depending on the combination of what she meant by 'may' and by
'prescribe', you may find that you have your funding ...

Then you can go back again and press her for the precise circumstances

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)