RE: [IPk] Exercise

>>I would expect your blood sugar to rise during anaerobic
exercise as the
muscles break down glycogen but I would also expect you to
see a fall in
blood sugar over the next 1-15 hours as the body replenishes
the Glycogen by
taking sugar from the blood. Have you ever noticed this
effect. I remember
years ago before I was a couch potato going through a fitness
exercising Morning and evening 5 days a week I had stop
because whatever I
did I would go Hypo during the night very dramatically, and
it didn't seem
to matter how much I ate before bed.<<

I always thought that running was aerobic (increased heart
rate - is that the right definition?).  I notice that my BG
falls with low intensity exercise (golf, gardening,
housework, walking etc) but does tend to rise when running,
particularly if the intensity increases (hot weather, uphill,
faster run etc).  It falls about 2 hours later, which is
manageable.  Most people though seem to require either some
carb or reduced insulin even when high intensity exercise.
Perhaps it's a question of different bodies having a
different definition of high intensity than others (mine
being lower - I always felt I was a genetic couch-potato!).
Maybe if I get fitter, the greater the intensity will need to
be before the BG rise is triggered?  Will I ever get fit
enough to find out?

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader