Re: [IPk] Scar tissue

Consider your poor fingertips!  When I look at mine, I see lots of little
black dots, scars from fingersticks of the past 7 years.  Thanks to scar
tissue and nerve damage, I can barely feel a lancet on the sides of my
fingertips (excluding my index finger and thumb, which I have never used for
testing) anymore.  Lancets are supposed to be of a finer gauge than injection
needles (they don't have a channel in the middle for something being injected)
but they sure do their damage over time.  I have become rather lazy about
changing lancets--I probably go through 3 a week, which means I change a
lancet when it's getting dull--but I use the sharpest, thinnest ones I've
found: B-D Ultra-Fine.  They're a lovely shade of teal plastic too ;) .  I
wish B-D would come out with a secure cap for them, though, so they'd be less
hazardous between going in the medical waste bin and being incinerated.  The
little caps can slide off pretty easily.  That digression aside, *thanks* for
your observation about there being time for tissue to heal around a cannula.
That would help explain why my absorption gets poor when it's time to change a
set that's still firmly attached and feeling all right.

Your point about injecting into a blood vessel is well made.  Many people
might be inclined to think such an injection would put the insulin directly
into the bloodstream and cause *better* absorption.  I know that blood in the
syringe or blood in the cannula means the insulin's not going where it needed
to go, but that was just touched upon in my diabetes education.  I share your
concerns about the injector gun things.  When I first learned of the
Sil-Serter, I was a little excited, but then I thought, "But what if I put a
set in a bad place?"  I suppose one could "feel around" with the needle of the
set one intends to use and find a good site before loading the gun thingy, but
that would rather defeat the purpose, wouldn't it?

email @ redacted
IDDM 7+ years; MiniMed pumper 5+ years