RE: [IPk] Guy's Hospital

Sorry was that a typo or did you say Guy's were trying to get you to pay
#9000.00 for training for the pump. How long were they suggesting you wee
trained for??

Miles Powley
IDD 27yrs Disetronic D-Tron

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of Smith, Beverley
Sent: 03 September 2001 09:26
To: 'email @ redacted'
Subject: RE: [IPk] Guy's Hospital

Hi Colin

I was refered to Guys because I wanted to try a pump and they
have a good reputation in London.  You do not have to go on a
pump if you go to Guys.  Indeed it was an effort to persuade
them to let me try (didn't think my control was bad enough -
don't get me started on this it's my favourite rant!).  The
funding issue depends on your local authority or trust.  I am
currently waiting to hear. I had a months free trial with
Minimed and have now purchased a pump.  I waited about 2
months to get my appointment and then 6 months to get a pump.
The reason it took 6 months was because of the funding issue.
As I was self-funding Guys wanted to charge me #9000 for the
nursing care I would receive during training.  It took a
while for my consultant to persuade the board of Guys that
this wasn't a good idea.  As far as who you see afterwards
than I guess that's up to you.  I used to go to St Thomas's
because they had a good reputation despite living in
Berkshire.  I now hope to transfer all my care to Guys.  It's
a personal choice (so long as your GP is happy to pay for
your care outside of your health authority area and I think
most are)

Hope this helps

IDDM 24 yrs pump 6 wks.

Beverley Smith