RE: [IPk] Insulin availability; was "insulin abuse"

>The worry with minimed is that opening
the set to replace it may increase the risk of bacteria entering the
infusion set. The only way to completely prevent this is to always replace
everything at once, at whatever interval you choose.

yes, this may be true, and so the companies provide a best practice guide,
but I think it's also worth letting people know that they can do what works
for them. I tend to side with John on the 'free' issue: I'm well aware that
the money I save the health services by making my supplies last is more
likely to go into a Minister's pocket than to another diabetic, so that's
not a huge motivation. However, I create a hell of a lot of extra waste, so
I like to use my lines and reservoirs a few times, and my sets until I need
to change them (up to six days depending). However, if I had demonstrated
any likelihood of infection in my first few weeks of pumping, I would change
everything each time because abcesses, etc., would have more of an impact in
terms of costs, sick time, waste, etc.

In the end, I think this issue is like everything else in diabetes: the
individual has to find what works best for them and stick with it.