RE: [IPk] Terminology control

Hi Pat

I wasn't aware that allergy could be a problem at a site.  I
have been on a pump for 6 weeks now and have had 2 infections
(I think) - in that after 2.5 days it became clear that the
insulin was not being absorbed and when I changed the site I
noticed the affected site was hard and a little tender.  Both
sites returned to normal in a few days though so if it was an
infection it was low grade.  What besides infection causes
mal-absorption? As far as allergy goes, I had a site last
week that was agony from the moment the needle went in
(strange as usually pain-free).  It was really painfull and
did not clear up for 2 hours also had rising blood glucose
levels so I changed it again.  Site is now fine.  I don't
know if that was an allergy, I assumed I had nicked a nerve
but I don't understand if that was the explanation why
insulin absorption was affected.

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader