[IPk] Humalog activity curves: was insulin sensitivity : pulses or continuous del

Hi John,

I think you missed the start of this thread.  It started with someone
reporting an academic paper which says that igetting H every 2 hours is
as effective as getting it in the little bursts of a pump.

Now, if 90% of people (say) are like Michael's daughter, and have 80%
gone in 2 hours, and I'm 80% gone in 3 hours, this means that I can get
by with injecting every 3 hours - which is what I planned to do, should
the pump ever fail.  (I really would rather set the alarm than go back
to the nightmare of long-acting insulins, even for a single night -
those things hang round for days!!!).  Actually, I'd like some Actrapid
to use as a back-up 'long acting' insulin, as I think I could manage a
six-hour sleep on that.

So you're right, we need to know how we individually respond to insulin,
but we also need to know what's typical, and how many people are
typical, in able to understand and base our behaviour on studies which
involve 'typical' people.

Best wishes

In message <l03130306b7b659ae9f8c@[]>, John Neale
<email @ redacted> writes
>>That link doesn't work, but going to the site, to the links page, to the
>>link to the Lilly site does work.
>Pat - you can get all the Humalog info you want free and legally at:
>This includes a graph of the average insulin activity in 10 patients with
>Type 1 diabetes.
>But I feel this is all a bit of a red herring. It doesn't tell YOU how fast
>Humalog acts in YOUR body. It's like the average height of the population
>won't tell you how tall you are. We are all different. Insulin works at
>different speeds in different people.
>mailto:email @ redacted

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)