RE: [IPk] Re: ketone testing

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, you wrote:
>Someone on 700 units of insulin per day will be insulin resistant and are
>far from being a 'normal' diabetic. I would certainly not be guided by such
>extreme cases.

What is a normal diabetic? Can it be quantified?
But that's not really the point. Is there some kind of mechanism that is
activated when insulin (and possibly food) intake reaches a certain level,
as you seem to be suggesting? I've never heard of this. Who's to say
whether it would be the same in an insulin resistant diabetic? And if it's
not, what prevents it being activated?

>Type I diabetics are not able to deliver a hormone called amyline (I think
>thats how you spell it) to control stomach emptying although they do produce
>it. It helps smooth out the breakdown of carbohydrates into glucose so as
>not to overwhelm the body.

Is this a fact? For *all* diabetics? Do you have any references to this?
I'm not refuting it, just interested.And how does this relate to the
diabetic complication gastroparesis, whereby the nerves controlling stomach
emptying are damaged, resulting in delayed stomach emptying?
 Di

I took part in a clinical trial for diabetics but