RE: [IPk] Re: ketone testing

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, you wrote:
>It is some years since I was a research chemist but if I remember correctly
>the body gains energy via two main pathways. The first, as I guess you know
>is by breaking carbohydrates down to carbon dioxide & water involving
>insulin. The second is Krebs cycle where fats are broken down to something
>that can be easily urinated out of the body such as an acid (via several
>steps) or failing that, ketones. Normally it will breakdown carbohydrates.
>When you exercise heavily you will burn through the carbohydrates stored in
>muscle cells and then breakdown the glycogen stored in the liver to glucose;
>when that is finished the body will start on the fat reserves. You will
>generate ketones more when lacking oxygen such as when running faster than
>your lungs can cope with. I guess that too little insulin will force your
>body to top-up its energy needs via Krebs cycle. Too much insulin will cause
>your body to raid the stored glucose & glycogen quicker and proceed onto
>breaking down fats resulting in more ketones.

Presumably you mean too much insulin in the sense of too much insulin for
the amount of carbs - ie it wouldn't occur just with a lot of insulinas
long as you match the carbs?
> >I think this is the main jest
of it but would like to hear from anyone with >a different picture. What
happens when you start eating less and loose fat; >it must mean that you
are at risk of generating ketones?, look out!

But generating ketones in that scenario isn't dangerous.