Re: [IPk] ketone testing

>No, John, this is the scale on the side of the Diastix, not the Ketostix. I
>don't remember what the scale on the Ketostix.  I think it's things like
>'slight', 'small', etc.

Sorry elizabeth - my fault.

>I remember now: the scale on my diastix has a percentage, and then it
>relates the percentage to mmol/L. But whenever I've tried peeing on
>diastix, the mmol/L bears no relation to any BG I've had in the previous 24
>hours. For example, I remember using one once when my BGs had never been
>very high, certainly nothing over 12 (as an absolute upper limit), and the
>diastix told me my BG had been somewhere in the 20s!  And I'm happy to be
>able to say that, for me, any BG in the 20s is a very very rare and unusual
>occurence. So that's why I'm skeptical about them.

But what does Diastix measure? Urine glucose concentration? Urine glucose
can't predict blood glucose, since it depends on how much urine you produce
(ie how many cups of tea you've had) and what your renal threshold is
(which varies from person to person)

mailto:email @ redacted